Monday, March 7, 2011

Pray, Praise, and Give Thanks

Leading by example works especially on a toddler who soaks in everything so easily. For the last couple of months I have been saying a prayer at all Isabelle's meal times. She has now joined in occasionally saying some of the words and always folding her hands. Isabelle has learned that before she starts to eat to fold her hands and wait for me to say, "Thank you Jesus for my food. Amen.".


Listen carefully in this video for her saying, "Thank you Jesus.". One time she actually did say "Thank you Jesus food." but I guess I didn't get that recorded.



Thought this was a cute clip too. Since Isabelle generally starts eating before we do, when daddy and I say our prayer for our meal she often joins in again.

Isabelle also has a bed time prayer that daddy and I usually say together before we lay her down for the night. Many should recognize at least a variation of this, "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Angels watch me through the night, and keep me safe 'til morning light. Amen.".

Though not often displayed by visual example, Isabelle also will fold her hands occasionally throughout the day praying as well. If I notice I will say, "Thank you Jesus." again because there is so much more to be thankful for beyond our food. Sometimes I have noticed that those moments indicate that she is ready to eat or ready to go to sleep. She will also fold her hands when daddy or I are folding our hands when we are relaxing. Daddy and I discussed that we must have been taught to fold our hands when we were sitting perhaps to keep us from fighting with our siblings or to keep out of other trouble.

We are still working on folding her hands during church but those prayers tend to be too long for her toddler attention span.

These are all good reasons to pray and I hope we can continue to lead by example.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV) -- "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

1 comment:

  1. This is borderline radically adorable. Seriously, like going into over-the-edge My Little Pony cuteness territory.

    I mean, granted its no "Room full of Golden Retriver Puppies bonding with kittens while an adorable child giggles..." But its pretty close.

    ReplyDelete